Helping You Realize The American Dream

What should I do about a name error on my green card?

On Behalf of | Mar 21, 2024 | Immigration Law

Having a green card with an incorrect name can create various challenges. For example, it may hinder your ability to renew your driver’s license, secure a marriage license, obtain a rental agreement or apply for jobs. These tasks often require official identification that matches your legal name.

If you received a green card with an error, there are steps you can take to correct the mistake and avoid potential issues down the line.

Steps to fix the error

To correct an issue with your green card that is due to a clerical mistake by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you will file a service request using the self-service tools on the agency’s website. You need to choose “typographic error” under “service request” and select “EAD Replacement due to USCIS Error.” In addition, you have to return the card to USCIS by mail.

If the USCIS finds it was not responsible for the error, then you must submit a request for a correction of your green card. You will likely need to submit documentation, such as a copy of your birth certificate or passport, to prove the correct information.

Potential fees

There may be fees associated with filing for a correction. However, the USCIS does not charge a fee if it is responsible for making an error.

Processing times to fix the name error can vary, so it is a good idea to submit your application as soon as possible to avoid any delays in receiving your corrected document. Make sure to double-check your card when you receive it to ensure it is accurate.